Monday 30 May 2011

Love your enemy.

Jesus teaches us to love our neighbour and our enemy.

As Jesus as my master it is my intention to follow His teachings as closely as I am able.

Loving your neighbour and your enemy results in the behaviour that you are always pleased to see them all.  You are eager to smile at and greet everyone you know.  If, as I do, you believe in deferring to those who have more authority than you do in a particular situation, then you are not likely to start a cosy chat or be over-familiar with them.  I would wait until I am accepted as an equal before I start behaving as one.  In the same way I am conscious not to 'give orders' to those who are on the same level as I am.

If I appear not to notice when others are ridiculing or ignoring me it is not because I am blind, deaf or soft in the head, it is because Jesus gives me all the love, insight, strength, joy and peace that I need as a result of my love for Him and of His teachings in the Holy Bible.

Trusting in Jesus, I am confident that whenever I trip up or have been tripped up, He will immediately stand me upright again, with joy in my heart.

If you find that you have been tricked, (and Christians will 'religiously' avoid doing anything that is against God's will), then your best resort is to endeavour to understand why that happened and to love, with a Godly love, the perpetrator(s) of the offence.  This behaviour does not seem to make sense in the mind of a human being and yet it works wonderfully.

Loving your enemy is a very strange and incredibly powerful experience.  I believe that everybody wants to be loved with the universal love of God.

Matthew 5:44


But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.

No comments: